Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is it legal for a car dealership to advertise 2 different…

Hi, is it legal...

Hi, is it legal for a car dealership to advertise 2 different prices on the exact same vehicle? As in one price is for an all cash deal and the other with financing. Should they be required to disclose both prices and reason why? Big difference between newspaper ad and website.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

TN. It is a 2006 Ford Explorer, so 12 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Ford?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

2/17/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

There is no law that would prevent the dealer from pricing the car differently based on how the buyer was paying for it as long as they weren't being illegally discriminatory about it. They can offer a discount for cash for a quick sale or offer a higher price if they want to get the money from financing interest.. So it can go either way.

.

But they can't offer a certain price to someone of one gender, race, ethnicity, etc, and then refuse to offer the same deal to someone who is different as that would be illegally discriminatory.

.

But if you feel like there has been a bait and switch, you can file a complaint with the Attorney General and they can then investigate to see if there has been any illegal actions..

.

.

thanks

Thank you for your time and response.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer