Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I lost $500,000.00 to American Sweepstakes Network. Stating…

I lost $500,000.00 to...

I lost $500,000.00 to American Sweepstakes Network. Stating that I had won 4.25 millions in s sweepstakes. I fell for it hook line and sinker. What can I do to recover the funds? I have names of investors who participated in this scam,

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That the funds was sent to Costa Rico

2/16/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. For how long were you sending money to scammers? What means were you using to send payment? What do investors have to do with a contest fraud?

From 11/04/12016 to 10/30/2017 sending money order to Costa RICO, the investors sent funds to me to add to my funds that were sent to Costa RICO

There's no question about the fact that you're entitled to your money back. If you knew who and where your scammers really are, you could sue them or seek restitution through the criminal justice system. Finding them, however, is likely to be a job for law enforcement, and the odds are against you if you sent money out of the country where our law enforcement authorities have no jurisdiction whatsoever to investigate or arrest these scammers.

Nevertheless, you should report this to the police. And you also want to go to the FBI. They have a special website called the Internet Crime Complaint Center where they want internet-related scams reported. It's at https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx But if you've lost half a million dollars to this racket, that's enough so that you might be able to prevail upon them to let you meet with an agent. You can contact the FBI directly by calling them at or going to the field office nearest you with what you have.

You can see the list of field offices here:

https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices

They can contact the authorities there and aid in the investigation if Costa Rica wishes that.

Another way to potentially recover funds is to sue the people who received your money, if you have names and addresses. It is best to retain a lawyer in Costa Rica and do that over there, since if you sue them here, even if you win a judgment here in the States, you may end up having to bring suit in Costa Rica anyway to get their government to enforce the judgment of a foreign court.

If you sent any money to them via WEstern Union during those dates, you would be potentially eligible to collect money from the proceeds of a class action settlement. YOu'd have to file a claim. If this applies, you can read more about this here:

http://westernunionremission.com/

Finally, as the victim of a crime, a portion of your losses would be tax deductible. You should discuss that option with an accountant.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Thank you for your advice.

You're very welcome.