Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

1. For about the past 5 years calcium deposits showed up for…

1. For about the past...
1. For about the past 5 years calcium deposits showed up for the initial mammogram of the left breast. (Page 3, ¶1)
2. In 2016, a biopsy was scheduled on the left breast, but the doctor at the Women’s Imaging Center said that the calcium deposits were vascular, and that there would be a blood bath if she conducted it. Therefore, the biopsy was cancelled. (Page 3, ¶3-¶6)
3. In 2017, the radiologist who examined the magnified image of my left breast recommended a biopsy, stating that the calcium deposits were not vascular. (Page 3-4, ¶7-¶12)
4. After the biopsy in 2017, a hematoma the size of a baseball developed from the biopsy, and had to be surgically removed three days after the procedure. (Page 4-7, ¶13-¶37)
5. After the surgery to remove the hematoma, it was determined that no calcium deposits were removed to determine whether they were precancerous or not. (Page 7, ¶38)
2/14/2018
commissure

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about this situation. how old are you?

what medical questions do you have for me?

Hi David, sorry I'm getting back to you now. I had a meeting I had to attend. I'm 55 years old, I can send you an attachment with details. I am asking if I have any recourse against the hospital, since the year before the radiologist said that the calcium deposits were vascular, and I think they were. Also, I had to have surgery to have the hematoma that developed as a result of the biopsy removed surgically. I am attaching a word document so that you have all of the facts you need to assist me.

you do have recourse. but you have to discuss this with medical malpractice lawyer to review your case. we are doctors here to help answer medical questions.

I am sorry you had a biopsy when you didn't need one.

it sounds like the woman's imaging center was correct in these calculations where vascular and didn't need to be biopsied.

When I try to talk to a lawyer, they won't take the case, do you have someone you can refer me to?
I was sent to you by JustAnswer. Will I be redirected by JustAnswer?

we have a legal department at justAnswers. we are doctors here at JustAnswers. if you want to talk to a lawyer here at JustAnswers. we can redirect the question to legal.

I'd like that. Thank you.
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear this; are you looking for information regarding medical malpractice?If so since this varies by state please indicate what state you are in. Thank you.

I'm so sorry. I didn't see this message until now. I guess that is what it is, since the procedure was conducted when it probably shouldn't have been done, and I am still in pain and I have a seranoma from it. Thank you.

I am very sorry;

Medical malpractice is based on the common law doctrine of negligence. The plaintiff must prove the following elements:

1) That a duty or specific standard of care was owed (generally so for a physician)
(2) That the duty or standard of care was breached in some manner by the physician
(3) The breach caused damages to the patient (i.e. additional physical injury)
(4) The patient suffered as a result of such negligence.

Generally the plaintiff is entitled to additional medical costs reasonably foreseeable and proximately caused by the negligence; pain and suffering, diminished quality of life, punitive damages if the court determines appropriate.

Many attorneys will take this on contingency - please see:

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/resources/law_issues_for_consumers/lawyerfees_contingent.html

If you provide the state I can let you know the relevant statute of limitations as well.

Thank you, ***** ***** is Florida, and one of the lawyers there said that the statute of limitations is 2 years. Even though I have been going for a mammogram at Baptist for 5 years, the incident that caused me pain took place January of this year. I believe that the doctor that looked at the film last year was correct in that the calcium deposits were vascular. Therefore, she didn't perform the procedure. Plus, after the procedure, the doctor who performed the procedure didn't even get the calcium deposits to determine if they were cancerous or not. I had to have surgery to remove the hematoma, and now I have a seranoma, and have been on pain meds ever since. I still have a lump in my breast, which I didn't have before. I don't think a lawyer in Pensacola will touch my case and go against Baptist Hospital. My general physician has referred me to a specialist in Atlanta. The calcium deposits are still there, without being tested, and do remove them, I have to have surgery again on my breast. I'm thinking about contacting a lawyer in Atlanta. Please advise. Thank you.

Yes, that 2 year limitation period is correct; please see:

https://www.floridabar.org/news/tfb-journal/?durl=%2Fdivcom%2Fjn%2Fjnjournal01.nsf%2FAuthor%2FF7BC2200718A2A2685256D550074A2C3

It is best to hire an attorney in FL because if that is where the malpractice occurred that state will have jurisdiction. An ATL attorney may be dual licensed and may be able to represent in FL as well but one should verify before the consultation.

I certainly do hope your surgeon is able to help you and am sorry you are having to deal with this. s

Is there any other advice you can give me in terms of what steps I need to do next? Or, do you think I just don't have any recourse? I would like to know.

I would urge you to contact an attorney so they can review the case; a medical malpractice/personal injury attorney typically has a network of doctors that can review one's medical file and determine the viability of a claim based on negligence.

I am sorry you are having to deal with this, as litigation is so stressful and having to deal with this in addition would be difficult.

It is possible the lawyer will send a demand letter and the doctor's insurance company decides to settle if there is indication of negligence.

Awesome, will do. Thank you so much. Darlene

You are most welcome; the best to you on this.

LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Thank you.