Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a situation where I co-signed for a car and the

Customer Question
I have a situation...

I have a situation where I co-signed for a car and the dealership put me on the contract after the fact as the primary. The person I signed for is not paying tolls, taxes or DMV. I also do not know were the car is being kept. He will not respond to calls and messages.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

VA and the car is a 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

The car is not malfunctioning its the contract agreement mainly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I really want to know what actions need to be taken?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
2/6/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

so the dealer modified the contract after the parties signed it?

What legally can I do

There are 2 options;

1. a dealer may be sued for fraud if they tamper with a contract. The party making the allegation must prove the fraud so the copy of the original contract showing the proper facts can be submitted to help prove the issue

2. the co-owner may be sued based on an implied contract, or on any oral contract. Basically the court will look at the facts and determine what the parties' intent was at the time of the contract and try to enforce that; so the court may order one party to buy out the other, or they may order a refinance, or they may order the car to be sold. As for tickets and such, the court can enter a judgment so that the plaintiff (party suing) will be reimbursed.

This requires, in both instances, filing a civil action. For disputes up to $5,000 small claims is appropriate;
http://www.courts.state.va.us/resources/small_claims_court_procedures.pdf

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Is it necessary to have legal representation and what type lawyer am I looking for?

No, one can self represent but that generally requires quite a bit of research to ensure the proper documents are submitted and the procedures are followed; some courts do have "clinics" or even self help facilitators to assist;

A general civil litigation attorney should be able to assist for scenario #2; for #1, a consumer protection attorney.

I never authorized a $41 payment-only the $5

I'm sorry- I am an individual contributor so I don't have access to your account to protect your privacy; please contact customer service and they should be able to assist you.

I hope the above information was helpful and that you feel I have earned a 5 star rating. Thank you and take care.

What is customer service number

(###) ###-####/p>

ww2.justanswer.com/help

Thank you!