Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I placed an order on a tesla model s. They said i have 3…

I placed an order...

I placed an order on a tesla model s. They said i have 3 days to change my mind, then after the 3 days the deposit is no longer refundable. it has been 6 days and I tried to get my deposit back, but they said that I can no longer receive my deposit back. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

California, and not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

I contacted my dealer, but the corporate office is closed until monday

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that is it. Thank you.

1/21/2018
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

I'm sorry to say that if your contract states that you can only get your deposit back within 3 days and it has been 6 days , then you are no longer entitled to your deposit. That is lawful because you agreed to it. This is called liquidated damages in contract law.

I am truly sorry for the bad news, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know and I will be happy to clarify my answer.

Also, despite the bad news, I would certainly appreciate it if you remember to provide a positive rating via the stars, as it is the only way that I'll get credit for answering your question(s). Thank you. :)

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney