Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I made an online purchase last night at a chain store. This…

I made an online...

I made an online purchase last night at a chain store. This evening I received an email from them stating that there was a glitch in the pricing last night, and because of that they are reversing my purchase. Can they really do this? I have a confirmation number and email of my purchase also.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

I'm in Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

I did respond to the email.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know what other Information that may be needed, but I have pictures of the purchase with all items listed also.

1/21/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Is the issue that the store mispriced the item (had it listed for less than they intended)?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
They're stating that many items were incorrectly priced (too low) and because of that they are reversing my purchase of numerous items I purchased.

Thanks
That is legal...and common. There are numerous appeals court cases on this issue.
The legal doctrine provides that when a store advertises a product, and the consumer wishes to purchase? The attempt to purchase becomes the "offer"...and the store can refuse the offer. So if they made a mistake? They can refuse to complete the transaction...the law is clear on this

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can force them to complete the transaction, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
P. Simmons, Lawyer