Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

British Airways airlines lost a large suitcase on an

international flight from New York...
British Airways airlines lost a large suitcase on an international flight from New York to London two days ago. I filed the claim and they’re still searching for it. What point is it considered a total loss and how much is the airline responsible to pay for the replacement of the contents?
1/19/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

You need to read your contract for carriage, because in there is a baggage limitation for liability clause and until the bag has been missing 5 days, there is no presumption of total loss AND if there is they only have to pay for up to the limit, which may not cover the actual cost of the contents. They are liable for up to about 1000 pounds or 1200 Euros in damage maximum. If you used American Express or some other card, they also have DELAYED or lost baggage coverage as well, so you can check with your credit card company as well.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer