Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I'm in the middle of a dispute with an orange county credit…

Customer Question
I'm in the middle of...
I'm in the middle of a nasty dispute with an orange county credit repair agency. They sent me a Cease and Desist letter for my Yelp review and are trying to send my credit disputes with my bank to arbitration. They charged me almost 1K and no improvement, I tried to cancel and they would ignore despite them having a money back guarantee. Its been such a stressful headache for me. I don’t know what else to do.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/17/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have more detailed info I can send...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My original Yelp review which I changed after they sent me a cease and desist letter .... They are in Irvine, I've just moved to Portland Oregon. This rating should be -5 stars. They keep ignoring my complaint emails and only contact me to deduct more money. There hasn't been a single improvement in my credit. Against my better judgement, I signed up with them through the suggestion of an auto dealer, I'm now realizing he gets some sort of referral fee. Manny looked at my credit and acted like he was having an attack it was so bad, it would need a LOT of work on their end, its some of the worst credit he's ever seen blah blah blah. Ofcourse they can absolutely fix this as they have helped others like me, but I would need their higher package. I explained I don't want or need a credit letter factory, I am looking for REAL RESULTS, if all you're going to do is send letters, I KNOW HOW TO DO THAT MYSELF! He assured me of course not, he told me to look at all the raving reviews etc.  I reluctantly signed up as I was in the middle of a long distance move and figured I should let professionals handle it with what seemed like a 100% success rate take over. And FYI- my credit isn't as bad as he claimed, when I applied for two different apts I told them about this and they said my credit wasn't that bad at all. And there was no extra deposit required!I'm unable to view whatever e-contract because it has apparently expired despite me saving it, how convenient. EZ Choice Financial Credit Repair has deducted different amounts of money from my account, they didn't reply to my request for updates, if it was a question, they replied, but if I asked them for an update or complained requesting cancellation suddenly they said they didn't receive that email.  So I sent copies of those emails, guess what, they said they didn't get that either. It's amazing how they only receive certain emails when it suits them.I have been requesting cancellation for months! There has been NO improvements to my credit whatsoever. Any fluctuations that have happened, were happening before. Anytime I asked Amanda about my case I wouldn't get a reply or a response stringing me along. Because I was distracted with an out of state move I had to put this on the back burner, when things finally settled down for me and I looked at my credit I saw it was exactly the SAME except they've taken nearly $1000 from me for ZERO IMPROVEMENT. They make false promises and are scammers and they have fake reviews and companies like this should be SHUT DOWN.

Thanks for providing that. One moment while I review...

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Thank you for giving me the details about this. What specific questions did you have for me about this situation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Another pressing matter is that I disputed these charges with my bank and although the bank originally credited me with some of the money now they are saying the Credit Repair agency is fighting this and sent documentation of communication, but that communication doesn't prove that they repaired my credit. In fact I have documentation of me attempting to cancel this and I was really upset that my credit score was dropping. They pick and chose which emails to reply to.
The bank lady said this could possibly go to Arbitration if MasterCard sides with them, there is a docusign document with my signature but I don't remember signing it especially for $1497!!! I would never pay $1497! We talked about a plan under $1000 in payments! I honestly don't know what is going on, regardless there was NO IMPROVEMENT to my credit and why should i pay 1k for just sending out letters, I made that clear to them I could do that myself for FREE.

I see what you mean. Do you feel like they made some misrepresentations regarding what they could provide to you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ABSOLUTELY, because of the high price I was very hesitant and I made it clear I would not pay that kind of money for a letter mill which I could get for much MUCH cheaper. He assured me that they have excellent reviews and there are loopholes in laws etc that can drop off so much on bad credit.

I see what you mean. You may want to consider either a) filing a private lawsuit stating that they have violated Cal Civil Code 1789.13 or b) you may want to consider contacting the CA Attorney General about this. The bot***** *****ne is that if they made statements that they could help with your credit or guaranteed that they would be able to delete or improve your credit, then it's a violation and you may be able to recover damages as a result. The damages will typically be what you paid to them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, I question the positive Yelp reviews because the majority of them are from unestablished yelpers, which makes me wonder if they just add their own positive reviews?? And when I posted my negative review he wrote this ridiculous long reply and included a link to my emails, is he allowed to do that?? I will include the Yelp link... https://www.yelp.com/biz/ez-choice-financial-credit-repair-irvineMy review is under Sandra H and at the very bottom it says Comment from Sam N. of EZ Choice Financial Credit Repair
Business Owner
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I already contacted Atty generally they said they don't represent individuals but will keep my complaint on file.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On their website they have a money back guarantee yet they are dragging me through hell.

Well, it is against the civil code to falsely advertise, but with the Yelp reviews, it'd be almost impossible to find out who the people are who rated positively. If you've contacted the AG, you may have to bring a small claims lawsuit (it's for cases less than $10k in California) and allege a violation of the civil code. If you have saved the documentation and can provide credible testimony, a judge can review your complaint and would likely side with you in this situation. They may argue that they made no such guarantees, but if you have some evidence to help yourself out, then you'll be in very good shape. How else can I help you today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What can I do about the bank dispute, they are disputing my dispute and threatening arbitration.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have to leave right now but I will check your answer when I return. Thanks

That one is a bit tough. It's normal to go through the banks, but because they aren't a court and in the absence of some clear violation of your agreement with the other party, they will typically side with the merchant in my experience.

Play out this process with the bank and if they deny a return of your money, consider alternative actions.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter that they are in violation of the civil code I mentioned above. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend a small claims lawsuit. Sometimes, it's the quickest way to get justice. It's also a little less expensive than a full blown lawsuit as well and attorneys cannot be involved in California small claims so they can't hide behind their lawyers either.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer