Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have been contacted by Hobbs from telephone noin Las

I have been contacted...

I have been contacted by Gary Hobbs from telephone no(###) ###-####in Las Vegas

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

NC

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just got the call yesterday and today that I had won 250,000 and I needed to cover ins. charges of 350.00 and will send two fed. Agents from DC . I think it is a scam

1/17/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Yes. It's indeed a scam.

First of all, Federal agents have nothing to do with the distribution of contest winnings. Their duty is to investigate crime and make arrests.

Secondly, when you really win a contest, the money that the contest has is already yours and not theirs. So they do not need any money from your own pocket in order to give you your winnings. You NEVER have to pay to get money that's already yours. The upfront fee, no matter how credible the reason, is the #1 sign that you are dealing with a scam.

In any legitimate contest, any transfer expenses would be deducted from the money you won and they'd just send you a check for the rest.

And fiinally, you can't ever be picked out of thin air as a contest winner. You must always enter the contest to be eligible to win it and have your original proof of entry to claim your prize.

Report the scammers to the FBI at www.IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at www. FTC.gov Block the contest from any further contact with you.

I will report this to both and thank you. He is suppose to call again tomorrow. I was trying to get all the info I could.

You are very welcome!

He's not going to admit to being a scammer. You're not going to get any satisfaction by confronting him. You might as well just block him and report him.

Talking to a scammer and appearing to give them the benefit of the doubt typically just makes them think you can be manipulated and you'll end up getting scammed more often.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

He answered my questions very professionally and on a scale of 1-10 it would definitely be a 10. Again thanks!!

Thank you!

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer