Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a loan on a car, however, a relative pays the car…

I have a loan on...
I have a loan on a car, however, a relative pays the car note. I agreed to help, as her credit was not good. She now wants to take over the note, so the title can be in her name. What's the best way to do this? Also, if she stops payments, how do I get the car back, just report it stolen?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are you the only one listed on the registration for the vehicle?

.

.

thanks

I am.....still owe on the car note
also do I have to evict a grown child, if she will not leave my home? or Can I just call the police and have them removed?

Ok, first... the only way the relative can get the note in her name is ***** ***** it with a bank and basically pay it off with the new loan and you sign over any interest you have in the vehicle.

.

If they don't pay the loan, then you can legally just go and repossess the vehicle because under the law, you are the only legal owner.

.

.

I'm happy to answer any follow up questions you may have that pertain to your original question. This appears to be a new question about eviction, and not a follow up. JustAnswer prefers that you open a new question page for new questions. This ensures that you'll have an accurate customer ratio on the site, and it helps us to give the best possible answers to your questions.

.

But you can open a new thread and request me if you would like... I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer
Barrister, Lawyer