Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I recently had an auto claim due to an accident where I was…

I recently had an auto...
I recently had an auto claim due to an accident where I was hit from behind. It was not my fault. The repair shop completed the repairs and submitted what they said was a final bill to me, which I paid using the check the insurance had initially sent to me. They then filed for a supplement from the insurance company, even though no additional cost was indicated on my invoice. Is this standard? They did not indicate a supplement was needed at the time I picked up my car.
1/16/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

Yes, it is not unusual. The repair shop will try to get as much money as they can from the insurance company. So often they will try to file for more money even after being paid for the initial cost. It is now between them and the insurance company. They are not (or should not) try to collect from you if the insurance company denies them. And it does not reflect on you in any way.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law