Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a question about an auto repair shop. Colorado, 2010…

I have a question...

I have a question about an auto repair shop.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Colorado, 2010 Buick Enclave

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My 2010 Buick Enclave out of nowhere would not start one morning so I had it towed to a repair shop. They got it running after hooking it up to a booster pack. They then talked me into $978 worth of spark plugs, ignition coils, intake gasket, valve cover gasket, valve cover seals and a fuel injection cleaning. My wife noticed the engine sounded wrong as soon as she picked up the car, but I told her with the injection system being freshly cleaned it might need time to adjust. After almost 2 weeks of the engine sound getting worse we returned the car to the shop. They had us pick it up the next day and the sound we still there. The very next morning the engine completely locked up and they are now asking for $6588 to replace the motor.

1/16/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

In order for you to have a claim against the mechanic, you need to get your car to another qualified mechanic to diagnose what caused the engine to seize up. If that mechanic can testify that the work done by the first repair shop caused the problem, then you have grounds to sue the first repair shop for the cost of all repairs and loss of use. In other words, to win a case against the first repair shop in court, you will need a certified mechanic to testify that what the first shop did was make negligent repairs and how they did so and how it caused the engine to seize up.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

When the engine sized up I had no idea what happened so that same shop picked it up and now has the vehicle all ripped apart. They are telling my they do not know why it failed, but it is not what they did.

Thank you for your reply.

You need to get it to a new mechanic and have it towed there as it is with all the parts. Unless you can get yourself an expert evaluation, you would not be able to prove in court that the work they did caused your current damage. So you need to get the car out of there to another mechanic.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer