Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I have been selling insurnace for over 20 years and have…

Customer Question
I have been selling insurnace...
I have been selling insurnace for over 20 years and have been a very high producer. However in 2013, I was terminated without cause (I still get my insurance renewals from this company) and was not told why. I hired an attorney, but I still do not not why. Since then, I am having a very hard time getting contracted with an insurance agency. I asked other insurance compies that I have applied with why I cannot get contracted. I have been told it was credit and outstanding vectors. I contacted "Vector One" and learned I had 2 prior debt balance owed to insurance companies that were sold through third parties over 10 years ago. I have also checked my credit report and I see the insurance companies contracted with attorneys who put the vamount owed on my credit. I have since contacted all outstanding creditors/annuity companies to pay all the unresolved debt. Once payment is received, they will remove my information from "Vector One" and all 3 Credit Reporting Bureaus.
However, I am still not sure if this is the reason I have not been contracted and I want to know if there is a way to find out exactly why.
In addition, I have a tax lein that I have been in a direct debit payment plan. However, I had this tax lien years before 2013 and was able to get contacted as a broker even with the liens. No company has specifically said it is the tax liens, but I often wonder as they show up on my credit. I am not in a position to pay off the liens entirely, however, I am worried once the Vectors and Credit items are paid, I still will not be able to get contracted. I am going to be spending a lot of money to get all of this reversed and I will only have one shot so I want to make sure I do what is right to get contracted and make a living again.
My 2 questions are:
1) Do I have the right to find out why the insurance companies are denying a contract for me to be a broker or agent?
2) If so, how do I go about doing it without raising red flags.
I want to take care of this and then reapply, but I will only have one chance.
I am still contracted with a couple of companies but they do not offer all the products that are right for my client base.Lastly, regarding FINRA it is my understanding there was a statue of limitations, but now FINRA is not obligated to remove information. Is this the case? I have disputed information on FINRA and the only thing they do is add my comments, which honestly dones not help.Thank you in advance for your help!
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/13/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

1) Unfortunately, under the laws on at will employment, the employer does not have to give or even have any reason for denying you a contract or job as broker/agent. If the insurance companies want to tell you a reason they can tell you, but there is nothing in the law that forces them to tell you the reason AND they do not even need to have a reason. They can deny you for any reason at all except based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin. However, they do not have to ever tell you any reason for not hiring you or contracting you.

2) The only thing you can do is try to find someone at these companies who will talk to you honestly, but again, you cannot force them to disclose why they did not hire you.

3) FINRA will only remove information from records under their expungement rule with a court order if you can prove the reports are false. If they are not false, FINRA will not remove them I am afraid.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer