Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I had my money card stolen. the person who did this has been…

Customer Question
I had my money...

I had my money card stolen. the person who did this has been arrested and convicted. no restitution was given because he lives on a fixed income. so do i. how can i get the bank to refund my money. they gave me three reasons why they will not. i only remember two. one was he used the same atm,s i used. not true. then two, he knew my pin number. he did because i trusted him and i have sent him to the store with my card before. i felt wronged in so many ways from this. but mostly the TD bank. he got more than $2500 out of my acct. i reported the card missing as soon as i found out it was missing. if you could help me it would mean alot

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

Maine

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

With the bank or courts. not the courts . only thing with courts is that he was c

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont know. do you need more information

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 day by:
1/14/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

I'm sorry - I really hate being the bearer of bad news but because you gave your card to this person the bank is under no obligation to refund that money to you. They had no way of knowing that you didn't give him permission to use your account. Your best option would be to sue him for the return of your funds. I hope that answers your question. As much as I wish it was otherwise, sometimes I have to give information that isn't "good news." I hope you don't take it out on me! I'm just the messenger. If it were up to me, I'd only give people good news!