Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Wiseowl58 Ok, I'll just post and see if I hear back from…

wiseowl58Ok, I'll just post my...
wiseowl58Ok, I'll just post my follow up and see if I hear back from you.
I canceled my Verizon account. I asked for a final bill in writing, I received it and paid it and transferred all my phones.
They kept billing me, as I continued to dispute the billing (over countless phones hours, countless emails and countless online chats, all documented ) over the months explaining that I had already transferred my phones and had already paid them off.Finally, after they dinged my credit and I started to dispute the false information on my credit report. Verizon after 6 months of this crap, informed me for the first time that, I had a hot spot device that they did not bill me for on my final bill, therefore they left open my 25 GB plan for this hotspot device, that again was not being used. Therefore when I didn’t pay the bill they turned it over to collections and now my credit has been damaged.The Hotspot device was on the same contract as my phones, what are my options and rights in dealing with this dirty giant ? I have evidence that I requested a final bill and they sent it and I paid it. it is almost like they did this intentionally.
I have tried to bring this mistake of theirs to management attention even attempting to contact the CEO's and its as if they could care less. I am going to email all of Verizon's top executives today in my last attempt for them to realize their mistake and come to their senses.
I do believe they have an arbitration clause in their contracts.
My main issue is to try and clear my credit as I’m trying to get a loan. I have already disputed the derogatory information on my credit report, but that seems to have little effect.
1/11/2018
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.
Can I request a different attorney ?

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as it seems you have been waiting quite some time for the attorney you initially requested.

You have the right to file for arbitration if they do have the arbitration clause in your customer contract, you need to look at your contract. Since management will not assist you and they did not properly cancel your contract on your request, this is their fault and they are not entitled to any further funds and now their negligence is leading to damage of your credit report so your last remaining option is suing for breach of contract and negligence and seeking damages against them for the damage to your credit. If you prove the reports on your credit are false, you can seek not only attorney's fees but costs of filing as well for their false reporting due to their negligence in not properly cancelling the contract.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank You ***** for the information. I do have some other questions but first. I just got off the phone with Verizon, and it sounds like they want to play hardball.
I know there's no right or wrong answer to this question, It's going to be an opinion. But they're taking position that I only asked to cancel the phones not the hotspot. Therefore it was not canceled.
I tried to reason with them, as to why would I transfer all my phones to a different carrier and not want to transfer the hotspot that I never used.
But it sounds like they're not willing to deal with this at all on a fairness basis, rather strictly a legal one.
Any opinion on where I might stand legally ? I'm looking through all my notes which I have lots of. Looking to see if I specifically used the words "I want to cancel my contract" Versus "I want to transfer my phones". Again the hot spot and phones were all on sale contract.

Thank you for your reply.

Your argument is you requested to terminate the account, that means they should have cancelled everything and this was their negligence. So, legally, if you told them to cancel the account they are making a frivolous argument that it did not mean the hot spot too. If you can show you said you wanted to cancel your account or contract, that means everything on that account or contract.