Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Having problems qith AT&T NOT^ releasing my two Cell Phone…

Customer Question
Having problems qith AT&T...

Having problems qith AT&T NOT^ releasing my two Cell Phone num bers.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I complained to the FCC

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Had an issue with payment but I paid the the final bill even though it was for a period that my two cell phones were locked.. AT&T has NOT released our cell phone numbers to another vendor, since our payment.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/9/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If your bill has been paid in full, AT&T has 30 days to port your numbers at your request. If they fail to do so, you can sue them in court for an order to port the numbers together with money damages and attorney's fees (at the judge's discretion) for their willful failure to port the numbers as required by law.

So your next step if the FCC cannot resolve the issue is filing a suit in CA Superior Court for a declaratory judgment ordering them to port the numbers and for damages for forcing you to take them to court to force them to comply with the law.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.