Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a couple of questions regarding my vehicle being

Customer Question
Hi - I have...

Hi - I have a couple of questions regarding my vehicle being towed and then inpounded for 30 days. This happened in San Francisco, CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CA lawyer about this?

Do you have any recommendations? on who I should call. There's more background as well. In Oct, my husband was driving my car in SF. He made an illegal turn and was pulled over. Unfortunately he has a suspended license. So they towed the car. The next day, the officer would not release the vehicle to me unless I signed a stipulated release. He said that my husband had a couple of driving while suspended tickets and forced me to sign the release agreement to get my car out. We're going through some financial challenges....

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

In Dec (without my knowledge), my husband was driving a different vehicle of mine (Chevy Avalanche). A police officer pulled him over because of expired tags. However, the vehicle registration was paid, but the smog was outstanding (we need to get the check engine light fixed). For this reason, they pulled him over. Again, since he still had a suspended license, they towed the vehicle. The next day on Dec 19th, when I went to pay the tow fees, the officer said that he couldnt release becasue of the expiered tags.He said I needed to go to the DMV for a 1-day movign permit. I did, the same day. Then the next day, when I returned with the 1-day moving permit, another officer at the window said that it was on a thirty day hold. I have a clean driving record. And we're taking steps to take care of my husbands license as well. I explained all this to the officer when I pleaded with him not to place the car on a 30-day hold

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There's some law that was passed in July stating that police cannot place cars on 30-day holds I believe. I hope the lawyer can also tell me if it was wrong of the police to force me to sign the stipulated aggrement in the first place in Oct, as I have a clean record. I can be reached at(###) ###-####

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/6/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

I suggest that you get a criminal lawyer involved for your husbands sake because the police obviously have some isses with him and his license and you don't want the situation to get worse.

If you can't afford a lawyer, you can ske the court to appoint one for your husband or you can go tothe public defender in San Francisco.

I recommend that you file a report for a lost or stolen IRS check. That way they will speedily stop payment on whatever was or may never have been issued to you, and they will issue new checks right away. This is the fastest way to get payment at this point.

You should fill out this form and submit it to the address below. This will work quickly. Start filling the form at Section 1. The top section is for IRS use for response.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3911.pdf

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Ogden, UT###-##-####/p>

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars and pressing send.

A bonus is always appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you and happy new year. I wish you all the best.

Hi WiseOwl58 -
I don’t feel like you’ve answered my question at all. There is a law that was passed July 21, 2017 stating that police couldn’t impound you car without good reason. I would like a refund.Tanis Correa
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer