Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I bought a used car, told in Good Condition. Drove 200 miles…

Customer Question
I bought a used...

I bought a used car, told in Good Condition. Drove 200 miles in 2 weeks and now car Falling apart. So far put $2,500 in repairs just to be able to drive it.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

California, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes, Nothing under warranty. All Wear and tear. Car has 73,000 miles

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Wner/salesman claimed that he had the car checked out by his mechanic and it was in good condition.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/5/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Shall I assume that you're asking if the seller can be held liable for the repairs, or if you can rescind the sale? If so, then the answer is yes if you can prove that you were misled as to the condition of the car. If you can prove that, then you would argue that you would not have bought the vehicle if it were not for the salesman's misrepresentations. In that situation, you can demand reimbursement for repairs or a rescission of the sale. On the other hand, the words "good condition" are very subjective. Accordingly, it would be very helpful for your case if you can point to specifics. For example, if he said that the transmission is in good condition, and you had to replace the transmission 2 weeks later, then clearly the salesman was incorrect and misled you. That may or may not be the case if he claims that the car in general is in good condition, since a car in good condition may still needs repairs to be in tip-top shape. So ultimately, whether or not you have recourse depends on the specific facts, and whether you can convince a judge that you are misled.

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Hello again.  I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney