Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Consumer legal question My son purchased a certified

Customer Question
Consumer legal questionMy son purchased...
Consumer legal questionMy son purchased a certified pre-owned car -- 2014 Dodge truck -- in Lewiston, Idaho. He received a document showing all the items inspected to certify it. Part of the deal, and the reason he bought it, was it came with a warranty.
He drove the car 6 hours back to Bend, Oregon. A few points:1. He had it checked out by the local Bend Dodge dealer and they said it needed some suspension repairs -- that the pre-purchase inspection data showing these items to be in good condition had to be false as there was no way a few hundred miles would cause that much damage.
2. The dealer said they couldn't honor the warranty as the truck had a particular 3" lift kit that voided the warranty -- and yet the lift kit was noted right on the dealer inspection report before the truck was purchase.
3. The Bend Dodge dealer says that if he gets the correct Mopar lift kit installed, then his warranty will be completely good.
Surely a dealer can't closed a sale by offering a warranty which they know in advance will not be honored by other dealers. And the truck had some bad parts that were not acknowledged. So dealer is maybe a decent guy who screwed up, or a fraudster.
I'm thinking my son should first talk to the dealer, and if he is a decent guy, he will see he screwed up and pay for the new Mopar lift kit -- or obligate himself to all warranty repairs.
If he doesn't then I guess small claims court?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/5/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Roger, Lawyer

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the seller knowingly made a false representation to your son in order to induce him to purchase the vehicle, then your son would have a right to sue for that material misrepresentation and seek damages, to chancel the contract, etc.

But, before filing suit, your son should contact the seller and ask if this issue can be resolved in a way that he can live with. I not, he is likely going to need to retain a lawyer and sue in court (small claims court is likely not possible because of the jurisdictional limits on the claims).

It is very likely that the seller will try to make things right and resolve the issue......if possible. But, if that doesn't happen, your should have a valid basis to pursue a claim.