Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a wage garnishment from Hameroff Law Group. They have…

Customer Question
I have a wage...

I have a wage garnishment from Hameroff Law Group. They have been taking money out since July 2017. I am not able to pay rent or have much money left for bills. My wife and I have been married 25 years and have 7 kids. They take out so much every month now I am being evicted from my rental because I cant afford rent. Any help on how I can get them to stop or take out a lot less? Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Yes, Arizona.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

It is a Law firm

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think thats it.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/4/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I hate to go for the simplest option, but have you considered bankruptcy as an option?

I just had my credit fixed and this is the only bad thing I have now. I dont want to go that route.

I certainly understand. I'm sorry to hear about that. There are a couple

of options that you have, but there are varying degrees difficulty with each one.

On one hand, you could simply stop making payments; however, it is possible that they would bring a lawsuit for breach of contract. You may end up paying court costs and attorneys fees to boot.

On the other hand, sometimes, just settling the debt is the easiest thing to do if you haven't done that already. This could include negotiating lower payments and explaining the hardship you have. It doesn't always appear as if it's the easiest thing to do, but every single day lawyers across the country are explaining to their clients that if they just work on settling their debts in a way that makes sense for them and they are going to be in a better position in the long-term. To facilitate your situation, there’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for debt settlement (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If you send this letter and they do not respond, then try sending it again to remind them that settling is really what resolving disputes is all about.

I'm very sorry about your situation. What other questions did you have for me?

Thank you. They have already sued me and garnished my wages. I cant afford rent and bills because of this. Thank you.

I understand what you mean. There is always the chance to lower the payment amounts if it is becoming too much. There's a way to help you with that as well.

Negotiation

One little known, but very effective tool that lawyers use when there isn’t a law that they can rely on to support their position is called principled negotiation. All this means is that you are looking to get something done on the basis of principles, even if you can’t find a law to support you. It takes the anxiety out of dealing with the other side because you’re focused on the facts, not each other.

Here are some simple steps you can follow:

Figure out what the other side’s interests are (saving money, saving time, etc.?);

Think about what your interests are (saving money, saving time, etc.?);

Come up with 2 to 3 reasonable and objective ways to solve the problem;

Present it to the other side;

If the other side rejects, ask them, “Is there a reason why you do not feel it is necessary to negotiate?”

Of course, these are just building blocks to get the other party to help solve the dispute. Believe me when I say that good lawyers use this technique all the time to keep things out of court. You’ll find that it is very effective even with the most stubborn of individuals.

Did you have any other questions for me regarding this?

No. Thank you for the help.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer