Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I live in Florida and need to lose weight for health reasons…

Customer Question
I live in Florida...

I live in Florida and need to lose weight for health reasons so I made an appointment with a weight loss center “ Burn Fat Orlando” and explained to the counselor there that I have very high blood pressure and could not take anything that would raise that blood pressure. She said it would not. She said no diet pills, no prepackaged food, no injections. You only take supplements to help you maximize weight loss. They will not hurt me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just woke up and my blood pressure is sky high I cannot take these supplements. And want to cancel the contract I signed because this stuff will kill me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How do I do this?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/4/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your consumer law question today in Florida and I'm sorry to hear about the anxiety and health difficulties brought on by your recent membership.

Health and Fitness Studios are regulated by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Under Florida law you have a three day right to cancel these memberships and should have been given these rights and facts at joining.

The attorney general has released the following information:

"the contract must contain the following:

• disclosure that the contract can be cancelled by giving written notice within 3 business days, excluding weekends and legal holidays;
  • a provision that if a member dies or becomes physically unable to use the facility, the contract can be cancelled and a refund issued for the unused time;
  • disclosure that the contract may not obligate the consumer for a period longer than 3 years, although it may provide for annual renewal;
  • if the studio is not required to post a bond, the contract must include a disclosure statement advising the buyer of that fact and of the risks of paying for more than 1 month in advance.
  • to determine whether a health club is registered with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, or whether any complaints have been filed against the business, call 1-800-HELP-FLA or(###) ###-####"

If the studio has not followed the above law you can make a consumer complaint to the Department of Consumer Services or the attorney general's office.

http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/Main/60FD9BD8FA71A5B185256CD1005EE5C5

In addition to your consumer rights if the supplement supplied was ill advised for your heart condition you may have a right to sue the company for negligently given advice and information.

You have indicated a rise in your blood pressure, you would need to get a MD check and diagnosis to verify the link in this regard to sue in civil court.

We are here to help, so please follow up with me as you require.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS before your exit today.

Thanks

Attorney Bill