Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

This is somewhat complicated but not really I have a friend…

Customer Question
This is somewhat complicated...

This is somewhat complicated but not really I have a friend who received the check from the large company for $29,900 they owed a friend of mine 500 and me 3000 this individual did not have a checking or banking account the check was drawn On Wells fFargo. My partner has a Wells Fargo account and agreed to deposit the check he took the check to the branch they authenticated the check they allowed him to deposited in his account. 48 hours later the check phones were made available in my partners account he kept the $500 that was owed to him and gave me the balance in the form of a certified check at Wells Fargo issued to him. I deposited the certified check into my account and gave it a fairy party individual who's check it was the remaining phones less the $3000 she owed me. We received a call from the branch that the issue where of the check is now claiming there was an error in the amount and it should've been $2950 now they want my partner to refund the money. It is our position that we clearly ask the bank if the funds were good if the check was real the bank need the funds available then issued a certified check if the issuer made a mistake that's between the if she were issuer of the check and the party it was isdued to. Are we correct?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

Nj

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

There was no purchase There was no purchase

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/4/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

If the check was written for $29,900, then the issue is between the large company and the friend who received the check. However, if the check was written for $2950, then you would be responsible for giving the check back.