Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am remodeling a home. Way over budget and had to reclose…

Customer Question
I am remodeling a...

I am remodeling a home. Way over budget and had to reclose and extend the loan, we paid for this but since the contractor is at fault for misbudget and the amount of time we feel they should reimburse us, or withhold from there fee. Closing is soon and the builder won’t budge on this. What can do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My original contract said they had 300 days to complet. We amended the contract for the dollar amount but nothing about the date. We are on a cost plus based contract

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/3/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

If the delay and failure to complete the project within the deadline in the contract was due to the sole fault of the contractor (his employees, subs, etc) then you can sue him for breach of contractor. You will need to prove your damages caused by the delay, including loan costs and expenses to extend the loan.

Please remember to accept my responses and post a positive rating.