Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is there a certain amount of debt I need in order to fil…

Customer Question
Is there a certain...

Is there a certain amount of debt I need in order to fil bankruptcy

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

Louisiana and no I have medical bill and also a car that I let someone else drive and they were suppose to make payment and didn't and now I have a judgement and I cannot afford to pay the 1700.00 that I owe for the car

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes a judgement

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That should be it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/2/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: LegalPro, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
LegalPro
LegalPro, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

There is no minimum debt requirement in order to file for bankruptcy. However, if you intend to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy (a complete liquidation of your debt--what most people in this sort of circumstance file), you must pass what's called the "means test," which is basically a test to see if your income falls below the median income in your state. You must have sufficiently low income over the past six months and pass the "means test" to be eligible for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection. You can determine if you pass the means test here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Please let me know if you are having any trouble viewing my answer?