Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Just purchased a refrigerator with faulty ice maker that…

Customer Question
Just purchased a refrigerator...

Just purchased a refrigerator with faulty ice maker that flooded my kitchen floor. Need to have flooring tore up because the water got under. Rugs are soaked cant hang outdoors. Had to cancel New years dinner. Iam 86 yrs old husband an invalid. Had to call friend to come help sop up water. Used every large bath towel in house. Think I should be compensated for all this that I went through. Before this is all done I may have to get new flooring. My phone # *************

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?

We live on an island so have to be careful who i call. Will call this mornin g.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am 86 yrs. old I have to have someone else do it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What do you want to know?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/3/2018
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This appears to be a violation of the implied warranty of merchantability. Under section 2-314 of the Uniform Commercial Code, which has been adopted wholly or in part by all the states, sellers are bound by the implied warranty of merchantability. What this means basically is that the good(s) that you purchase will generally be acceptable. An example would be if someone purchased a vehicle. A seller warrants that the vehicle is going to be generally acceptable, fit for its ordinary purpose, and be of a generally understood type and quality. A violation of this will ultimately result in damages for the buyer. In this case, because the refrigerator your purchased was faulty and because it caused damage to other parts of your home, you may be entitled to reasonable compensation as a result.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter to the retailer and the manufacturer about this matter. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me regarding this?