Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I purchased a 2005 Honda Pilot with 62000 miles in July. The…

Customer Question
I purchased a 2005...

I purchased a 2005 Honda Pilot with 62000 miles in July. The end of September, I had to replace all of the brakes. Now, I noticed a noise was coming from the brakes and I took it back to the company that did the work and while there, they showed me the underside of the vehicle which had a whole lot of rust. They advised that really everything will need to be replaced eventually although it is not a threat at the moment. The rust is so bad that I feel this would have been noticed by the mechanic who would have inspected it for the used auto dealership. However, they did not disclose any knowledge of rust on the vehicle on the underside. Now, the quote I obtained to replace the brake line system is roughly $3,000. Do I have any recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

The car is 12 years old and this was in Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, it just seems that this is knowledge that should have been known by the dealership and provided to me prior to purchase. And I'm just curious if I should approach them about what I paid for the car. I paid roughly $7,000 in the car is paid for. Blue Book value places this vehicle between $6,500 and $7,000. So if there were no issues, then I would be in a fair spot. However since they did not disclose this issue about all of the rust on the vehicle and the cost it was take to repair the brake lines then I'm hoping that I can approach them with an offer to settle

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/31/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Ohio lemon laws pertaining to vehicles do not apply to used vehicles.

Under federal law the dealer had to inform you in writing whether the vehicle was sold "As IS" or whether they were providing you any warranty. If they sold the vehicle "As IS" you really have no recourse.

If they did not inform you either way, or told you the car had no problems you may have remedies.

You can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission for violating the warranty laws and you can file a complaint with the Attorney General for fraud. see:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/About-AG/Contact

It costs you nothing to file these complaints. But I must be clear with you that in most cases it is very difficult to prove these cases.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney