Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I had an incident happen at Kroger’s yesterday where I was…

Customer Question
Hello.... I had an...

Hello.... I had an incident happen at Kroger’s yesterday where I was accused of stealing, very rudely treated, & told to get out of store by the manager whom I ask to see. However he didn’t hear anything I had to say and basically threw me out the store. I was with my 10 yr old daughter & the whole issue was a faulty scanner which I raised the question about. The employee was upset she had to be there & totally went bizurk accusing me of stealing. Do I have any case I can file. Plus I was a little delirious because I had just left dialysis. I’m battling Congestive Heart Failure & Kidney Failure. I was NOT stealing nor have I ever stolen. I’m a Pastor of a church here in Cincinnati. This REALLY has me still upset, humiliated, & hurt that I was accused of stealing in front of eceverybody in the store

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

This is the first step I’ve taken....I couldn’t sleep last night I was so upset by this incident...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s really the gist of it. The scanner was malfunctioning & the employee knew I was having problems with it because I had lost everything in the scanner & had to rescan everything in my cart & she came over & asked me what I was doing.... So when I got to the checkout line the 2nd time & downloadedthe scanner only maybe about a third of the items downloaded. But I’ve noticed they have problems with the self scanners ALL THE TIME. HALF the time they don’t even work....I put 3 of them back before I found one that worked. That’s all...

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, it is possible that you may have a cause of action for intentional infliction of emotional distress. This occurs when someone intentionally or recklessly causes severe emotional distress through their outrageous actions. The hard part with this is measuring the damages. Usually, there are damages like therapist bills or medications that may be recoverable; however, sometimes the emotional distress you suffered may be convincing to a jury because most people would probably feel distressed in that situation. There isn't any law where a person can be sued for accusing another of stealing generally and shopkeepers have a limited ability to hold people they think are stealing; however, if they went bezerk and had no reason to act in that manner, you may have a cause of action there.

What other questions did you have for me regarding this?