Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

It is my understanding there are 3 courts in Georgia,

Customer Question
Magistrate, State, Superior. I...
It is my understanding there are 3 courts in Georgia, Magistrate, State, Superior. I want to file a claim against another person for unpaid rent. I have already evicted them. The total amount due is $16,500 which is above the Magistrate court limit of $15,000. If I file for $15,000 in Magistrate court, I also risk the possibility of a counter suit above the $15,000 pushing the case to Superior court. I understand the State court has no limit on the amount and would fit this scenario. My question is, can I file in State court without a lawyer involved or with limited lawyer involvement?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/29/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Yes, you can. Our system is based on the idea that everyone should have open access to the courts. That means a person can't be denied the ability to bring a case because they can't afford (or don't want) a lawyer. You always have the ability to represent yourself.

Please rate my service positively, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?