Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is it legal for a University that does transplants to ask…

Customer Question
Is it legal for...

Is it legal for a University that does transplants to ask you to cancel my managed care insurance and use medical/medicare because it's easier than to deal with managed care? I would lose alot of benefits. I was dropped from their list due to not cancelling insurance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/29/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: DamienJD, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

Are you an employee of the University? What is the list?

No I am a patient. The list is the patients cleared by the University to be placed on the UNOs list for transplantation.

Thank you for the additional information. So my understanding is that you were on a list for a transplant and the University took you off the list because it did not like your insurance plan. Is that correct?

They are stating that it is easier for them to get payment if I only use Medicare or mediCal and I need to drop my managed care provider because they are too slow on providing authorizations. If I cancel my managed care I lose caregiver services that would be necessary for 3 months after surgery. Part of the problem is that they make you relocate to their city for 3-5 months after surgery which I could not afford if I canceled managed care.

Have you spoken to your managed care provider about it? Possibly, there is a way to get supplemental coverage using Medicare or MediCal.