Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am out of sorts. My phone bill for this month is $435. I…

Customer Question
I am out of...

I am out of sorts. My phone bill for this month is $435. I called Verizon and they tell me this was due to the fact that I broke my contract with Samsung to go to an Iphone. I was not aware they were going to charge me for cancellation of the previous contract. Never was told this would happen untill I got the bill, and the had told me it was because of my long distance calls. They want me now to send $89 every week until this is paid off. I would like to know if I have any other recourse, since I don't have the money and I was not advised this would happen

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

I am in Los Angeles, California, and no one is helping me.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have just finished talking to Verizon who told me that is my only recourse -- to pay $89 d0llars a week until this is paid off. As you can imagine, I just got myself into my credit cards because 0f Christmas and New Years

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not anymore, except they first suggested it was due to my long distance calls, but evidently what they want is for me to pay off my contract with Samsund nowthat I went to the iphone because my phone had a virus.

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Consumer Protection Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Tell me an approximate amount. I now have to pay $435 in payments of $89 per week.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/27/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

This appears to be a case of fraudulent misrepresentation if Verizon knew, but never told you, about the additional charges. Basically, fraudulent misrepresentation is when someone intentionally makes material statement or makes a material omission that induces someone else to enter into an agreement. The other party can also be held liable for negligent misrepresentation if they state a fact that induces the other party to enter into an agreement without having reasonably checked on the accuracy of their statements. A fraudulent or negligent misrepresentation can lead to the rescindment of a contract in addition to a payment of damages to the other party who was misled. Keep in mind that this is different than what is known as “puffing” in sales terms which generally allows salespeople to give their opinion on a product or service. For example, it’s not against the law to say, “I believe that this product is the absolute best on the market.” The only exception would be if they made misrepresentations to the safety of a product. This doesn't seem to apply here though.

Sometimes, just settling the debt is the easiest thing to do because many large companies like this do not want to try to chase you down for the money, but would rather settle up a smaller amount. It doesn't always appear as if it's the easiest thing to do, but every single day lawyers across the country are explaining to their clients that if they just work on settling their debts in a way that makes sense for them and they are going to be in a better position in the long-term. To facilitate your situation, there’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for debt settlement (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If you send this letter and they do not respond, then try sending it again to remind them that settling is really what resolving disputes is all about.

Have you had a chance to speak to someone in charge about this at all?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer