Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a car back in 2015 making paymentsMaking payments…

Customer Question
I bought a car...

I bought a car back in 2015 making paymentsMaking payments to the dealership where I bought the car April of this year 2017 I guess they sold the loan to someone else called auto finance and they called me and told me that I had not made my April payment side affects them in a receipt that I paid it to the other people thanks go on and pay my car payment I probably got like a month behind So I was like you know what just see what the pay of is on the car Because they send me the payment sheets and it says the pay off on them every time they send them so I’m thinking my pay off is $1300 well once I start inquiring with them about the pay off they repo my car one night now they’re saying I/O $4400 from when I first got the car because the finance company sold them the loans and not have to pay the additional $4400 that I already paid and that’s not the case first they tell me to pay $1300 and I can get my car back and make payments for $306 until I pay off the $4400 they won’t let me get my car back they won’t let me get the stuff out of my car they won’t tell me when my car is that won’t give me any kind of paperwork showing me what payments I’ve missed why they repo the car they won’t show me repo papers now they won’t even talk to me but they have my car and my money I have no idea what I should

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

$306 until I pay off the $4400 they won’t let me get my car back they won’t let me get the stuff out of my car they won’t tell me when my car is that won’t give me any kind of paperwork showing me what payments I’ve missed why they repo the car they won’t show me repo papers now they won’t even talk to me but they have my car and my money I have no idea what I shouldVirginia Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

I’m ready

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I’m ready

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I tried to reported to the police but they told me it’s a civil matter but I haven’t seen in a repo papers

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
I also forgot they made a deal with us to pay $1300 meet them at an address give them a key so he can go get the car because the tow truck company did not want us on their lot we waited 40 minutes call the finance company back she tells us that she can’t get a hold of him just wait we told her it was freezing outside and we were waiting any longer so then they started saying that we should’ve just waited instead of just leaving and now we have to pay $4400 if we want to car back now they won’t even talk to us they say we have to get a lawyer to talk to them so we don’t know what’s going on
12/27/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 6 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry, but I do not understand your post.

Kindly review, edit, add proper punctuation marks, properly identify the parties and your issues, ask specific question(s), and resubmit.

Thank you for your cooperation,

I bought a car back in 2015 from Woodbridge auto finance that’s where I’ve been making my payments all the way up until April 2017 I’m not sure what happen with Woodbridge auto finance but they sold the loans to another company which is called auto finance how I found out is a send me a letter saying that I was behind on my April payment I told them I had already paid that to Woodbridge auto finance so I had to fax them a receipt everything was fine until now December 2017 when all I have left is 1300 and something dollars to pay the car off I missed one payment they repo my car but the reason they said they repo my car is because the 44 hundred dollars that I had paid to Woodbridge auto finance doesn’t count because they sold the loan to them and they say I was behind on the payment for that amount so they sold the loan back and now they can charge me an additional $4400 for the car we have asked them to show us proof of what we owe $4400 for we have asked them to show us repo papers on the repo guy picked up the car we have also asked to get our stuff out of the car We were told no to all those things we have no idea where this car is all my personal belongings are in the car they then make a deal said if I paid 1360 something dollars that they would meet me I would give them the key and they would go to the repo lot and get the car and bring it back to where he asked me to meet him which was at office address that they had back in September but they no longer was there we waited out there for 40 minutes in the cold no one showed up no calls so I call the finance company she tells me that she can’t get in touch with him I should just stay there and wait I told her no it’s too cold outside so we’re leaving so because we left he said that we can’t have my car back and that they will not talk to us anymore they don’t answer calls I don’t respond to anything we say we’ve asked them repeatedly to get the things out of the car it just does not seem like this is like right I’m not sure what to do but I know I paid a lot of money for car I don’t have and these people get the run off with my money and my car is not fair we tried to have the police get involved but he said since it’s a repo it’s a civil matter
I also forgot to mention in the end he tells us he will refund us the $1300 if they can keep the car I said no I want my car he said well you can pay the 4400 on top of the 13
No where on that form does it say anything about $4400 my payments were fine

I am sorry, I will opt out because I do not understand your post without any punctuation marks.

I’m hoping these text messages between me and the finance company and the guy will help you understand what I’m trying to say because I’m not sure how to put it into words
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor left.

What you describe is called "breach of contract" and also potentially "Unfair and deceptive business practices" because all of the payments you made on the car from the beginning of the loan do indeed count towards the total purchase price. Just because this new company took over the loan does not mean they can ignore all of the prior payments on the loan.

If they have repossessed and they are now claiming the loan is delinquent, you need to get a local consumer protection attorney and you need to sue the company immediately to prevent them from auctioning off your car and losing your car in addition to all the money you paid on the car to the first company.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.