Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I purchased the unlimited vacation club package today during…

I purchased the unlimited...

I purchased the unlimited vacation club package today during my stay at a resort in Mexico. It is essentially a timeshare that I got coerced into buying. I want to cancel it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you thoroughly reviewed the contract?

Yes.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

It's not a manufacturer. It's a resort group.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is language in the contract that says I can cancel in first 5 days but I also remember the sales guy making me sign something that said that I couldn't cancel once I sign the contract

12/24/2017
KnowYourRights

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Hello

By law, in Mexico you have five business days to cancel a timeshare contract after you have signed it. The right to cancel cannot be waived. If you try to cancel, the timeshare salespeople may tell you that you waived this right when you signed the contract. This is not true. Mexican law stipulates that purchasers are legally entitled to cancel a timeshare contract without penalty.

To cancel the contract, notify the developer in writing. It is also a good idea to send notification by email, as well as in person, if possible. Be sure to:

• follow the instructions provided in the contract on how to cancel
  • deliver the cancellation within the rescission time period, and
  • keep proof of the delivery of the cancellation notice

The timeshare developer must refund of all the money you have paid, without any canceling penalties, within 15 business days. Often though, timeshare developers in Mexico are very reluctant to give you a refund. If the developer stalls or refuses to give you a refund, you can file a formal complaint against the company with PROFECO.

The Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor (Office of the Federal Prosecutor for the Consumer), known as PROFECO, is the consumer protection agency designed to protect consumers against abuses or fraud by companies operating in Mexico. If you are having a dispute with a timeshare developer in Mexico, you may contact “PROFECO” by email at *****@******.*** or by telephone to file a formal complaint.

Go to PROFECO’s webpage at www.profeco.gob.mx (Spanish) or www.profeco.gob.mx/english.htm (English) to find more information and current telephone numbers for PROFECO.

Are you there

Yes, I was responding above

Okay. Below is what I have in the contract:
he foregoing shall operate if Member notifies
the early termination of the Contract to the Mediator within five (5) business days following the date of signature of the
Contract and upon request directly and in writing at the sales room, the address of the Mediator or by e-mail to ***@******.*** in which case, the corresponding acknowledgment of receipt issued by the
Mediator shall be required to ensure that the Mediator has received it.

Yes and this is what you need to do if the contract allows for it to be canceled. You need to comply in the way stated within.

How do I ensure the acknowledgement of receipt? I'm leaving Mexico day after tomorrow and their sales office is in a different hotel that is closed tomorrow. Would just the email sufffice?

It says you can email it to them but if you can write it up also can drop it off and call to confirm you need to also.

Okay. I will try doing that. I am just afraid they will avoid seeing me or try to dodge me to not receive the cancellation request.

You need to document it as best as you can. In the contract, it states what must be done so you need to act within the time. It says you can email them above or go back to the sales room as well and there should also be an address of the mediator. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

KnowYourRights