Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I Had a salesman from Missile Valley Satelites come to my…

Customer Question
I Had a salesman...

I Had a salesman from Missile Valley Satelites come to my home and try to sell me a satellite package constisting of Satelitte Dish net work and phone. It sounded good but I couldn't seem to feel good about it. The salesman told me that I could have 30 days to try it and decided if I liked it. So I decided I would try since there was nothing to hold me to it if I didn't like it. So I let them install it. I kept it 5 days had a lot of problems so I told them I didn't want it. Now they are trying to charge me a $400.00 cancellation fee and other fees . I have not signed a contract can them make me pay when that was not what we verbally agreed to?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

New Mexico No you are the first one I have contacted. I didn't know where to start.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I only called M V Salettites and talked to Hughes net.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know what other info the lawyer will need.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/21/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

So to be clear there was no contract; and the invoice did not have a cancellation clause?

I did not sign a contract when the installer came I signed a paper to the effect that I was allowing him to install the Dish and Hughes net dish. But I did at no time sign a contract or anything else.

Pursuant to coe 57-12-21 of the NM statutes, it is a deceptive business practice for a door to door sales contract to not contain the mandatory cancellation clause.

This is modeled after the federal rule:

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/federal_register_notices/2015/01/150109coolingofffrn.pdf

A complaint can be filed here:

https://www.nmag.gov/file-a-complaint.aspx

If the company sues to recover the customer can raise that statute as a defense.

Please see page 43 here as well:

https://www.nmbar.org/NmbarDocs/forPublic/LREP/2014SeniorHandbook.pdf

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer