Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I just found out my name as not deleted from all accounts…

Customer Question
I just found out...

I just found out my name as not deleted from all accounts after a signing of delete joint account form with a credit union back in 1999. My name was left on a credit card and a line of credit. I understand I can file a show cause against my ex, but I think the credit union was fraudulent in not removing me from all accounts.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Utah signed the delete joint account 9/24/1999 and divorce was final January 21, 2000.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Tried talking to the credit union. They said I am responsible and the delete joint form only reference two of four accounts. Said get my ex to refi and get my name off. I know that's a different issue. And though I've also texted, emailed and called him, he is not acknowledging or responding. I feel the credit union was fraudulent in the first place.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've filled out motion to show cause forms to enforce the divorce degree, but I haven't file them because I feel the credit union is in the wrong.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/20/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You are correct. I would still file the motion. The court should direct the credit union to remedy the error, so you would be addressing both issues. If you suffered any financial loss you could separately pursue the institution in court for damages.

Kindly let me know if that is acceptable by replying "yes"

if I can clarify anything, welcome to ask of course.