Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I'm in NY. I have some properties in Buffalo, NY. I hired a…

Customer Question
I'm in NY. I...

I'm in NY. I have some properties in Buffalo, NY. I hired a management company to manage them.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I had them to replace one unit's new washer/dryer. I got billed for. Now I asked them to give me receipt for factory factory warranty. But they refused to give me the receipt.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

In the past, I got a lot repairs with materials shown on my invoices, but I never received any receipts .Now because I can trust them anymore. Do I have the right to ask for all receipt?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/20/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Have they given a reason for the refusal? Is there a written management agreement? Does it require record keeping and inspection of records?
Nothing mentions in agreement. But I asked them to buy washer/dryer. I should have receipt in order to have factory warranty. Now I suspicion about the machine was even now new. So I need a receipt to approve.
Thank you for the additional information.
If they are spending your money then they are your fiduciary and owe you fiduciary duties, including the duty of keeping adequate records of what they do with your money.
If they refuse to provide receipts for their expenditures then you can sue for breach of fiduciary duty.
You may also want to file a complaint with the NY Attorney General’s office and the state licensing board, if they are licensed managers.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer