Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I gave Tesla a $1000 deposit for 2 Powerwall batteries in…

Customer Question
I gave Tesla a...

I gave Tesla a $1000 deposit for 2 Powerwall batteries in May 2017. After the site survey around June 2017, it was determined there would be an additional charge of $2000 for electrical work. At this point I informed Tesla it no longer made economic sense to go forward with the battery installation. Fast forward to November 2017– Tesla contacts me with a further sales pitch. I clearly stated I wasn’t buying the batteries, at which time the Tesla associate said he would refund my $1000 deposit. After 4 phone calls and several emails, I still haven’t received my deposit. Every Tesla associate has said it should have been processed, but still no refund. Which California government office/department should I contact regarding a refundable deposit being held illegally by Tesla?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

California, no purchase was made, no contract was ever signed. It was a deposit made to start the purchase process.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Tesla, yes many times. Are you a human or an algorithm? I did state these facts in the first chat message to you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the lawyer more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think I covered it well in the first chat message.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/20/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank you for posting your legal question today in relation to your difficulties in recovering your deposit. As a consumer the division of consumer affairs does investigate consumer law violations and can contact the company upon complaint and encourage mediation of your dispute.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/consumer/complaints.shtml

They are also empowered in taking legal action where there has been a breach of consumer law.

Because your claim is for $1,000 you can also or additionally sue in the small claims division of the Superior Ct.

For a small fee you get a case number ***** hearing date on the same day.

Prior to filing suit the norm is to send a letter tot he company demanding your owed account giving them a final chance to pay the disputed account.

Some small claims courts do require you to show them your issued letter of demand.

We are here to help, so please follow up with me as required today.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit for my time and response.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS is much appreciated.

Best

Attorney Bill

I did write them SEVERAL times. This was my final, exasperated plea...I did log on to Tesla.com, but could find no screen on which I could cancel my Powerwall order. (See screenshots, below.)No place on either of these pages appears to acknowledge that a Powerwall order was being processed, nor does it provide a place to enter a reservation number to cancel the Powerwall reservation.I’m sorry, but it has to be said—the premise that only I can request the refund online, and that the refund cannot be issued by someone at your company, is ridiculous.I have provided several written requests for a refund of my deposit, and since it appears that I cannot accomplish it myself, I am again requesting in writing a cancellation of my Powerwall application and the return of my deposit. This deposit has been held by Tesla for over 6 months, despite repeated requests telephonically and in writing for a deposit refund.I have spoken to many Tesla employees, and all have assured me that my Powerwall order was cancelled and that I should have received my refund. This has taken HOURS of my time, both waiting on hold, and in speaking or writing to your associates. I still do not have my deposit, which is being held hostage by, I believe, an insidious catch-22 created within your organization designed to keep me from regaining my deposit.Please, I implore you, make it happen.Rebecca Counts
Don’t know if that last email will work. Unfortunately, it is all but impossible to get a Tesla email for management. They control incoming email by only allowing input via their company web page.

Typically a letter of demand gives the company a few weeks to pay the amount and sets out your intention to file a civil action as a final notice; I didn't see that above. You can also file the consumer complaint with the Department of Consumer Affairs.

FIVE STARS is much appreciated.

Best

Attorney Bill

Thank you. Will contact said government consumer affairs department.

Your welcome, please take the time to leave a positive feedback through the rating icon.

Have a nice evening.

Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer