Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I purchased a solar system from California MRG. At the time…

Customer Question
I purchased a solar...

I purchased a solar system from California MRG. At the time I signed up I was told that I would get a $1,000.00 rebate from the LADWP. However, the LADWP has told me that the rebate will be $754.00. I feel I was misled by the person that signed me up for the solar system. I do not know what I can do about it if anything.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Only to ask California NRG why I was only getting $754.00 instead of the $1,000.00 I was told I would be getting. They gave me a song and dance and no real answer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that I am happy with the system, but not about being misled about the rebate.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/20/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation with the solar panels. This appears to be a case of fraudulent misrepresentation if they said you would be getting a $1000 rebate, but you received only a $754 rebate. Basically, fraudulent misrepresentation is when someone intentionally makes material statement or makes a material omission that induces someone else to enter into an agreement. The other party can also be held liable for negligent misrepresentation if they state a fact that induces the other party to enter into an agreement without having reasonably checked on the accuracy of their statements. A fraudulent or negligent misrepresentation can lead to the rescindment of a contract in addition to a payment of damages to the other party who was misled. Keep in mind that this is different than what is known as “puffing” in sales terms which generally allows salespeople to give their opinion on a product or service. For example, it’s not against the law to say, “I believe that this product is the absolute best on the market.” The only exception would be if they made misrepresentations to the safety of a product. i don't believe that this applies in this case. Accordingly, you may need to work your way up the chain and if that doesn't work, sadly, a lawsuit is your next best bet.

What other questions did you have for me today regarding this?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer