Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I am have problems with a nursing home. They say I owe them

Customer Question

I am have problems with a nursing home. They say I owe them $2,300 and my insurance says I owe $1,800. I paid them $500 on wed. the 13th and by friday they said I owed more money and I was starting to pay again by the 7th of Janurary. They want me to pay $150 with 1.1% fee. they are threating my brother and to take away my assests including ss
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: It is a corporation for a nursing home and I have 2 agreements but the second one is threathing to take my assests They tell me one thing and do another
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what i can do because now they are threating to make me pay what the insurance didn,t pay which is like $7,000 I was discharged on the 16th of Nov. and my insurance just got that bill 12/13
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

First, rest assured that they cannot take your social security to pay a debt now that you've moved out of the home. It would be different if you were still living there receiving Medicaid. Second, they cannot make your brother pay your debt unless he signed something agreeing to be personally liable.

What other assets do you have?

Please let me know if you have any questions about the answer I have provided or if there is any additional information you feel would be helpful to me.