Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am looking to find out about what rights do I have if I…

Customer Question
Hello. I am looking...

Hello. I am looking to find out about what rights do I have if I can prove my case. It has to do with a new car that was offered as a gift as my dream car. I accepted and the person took me to dealer ship to buy car with the understanding that I would have to put down payment trade my present car and make the monthly payment. The dealership salesmen acknowledge this. 2yrs ago by now the person got mad over something else personal and took my car claiming its their car. I have paid over 12,000 in payments I have offered to sell the car but they want to keep it for themselves because they signed for it, I paid the insurance also. Do I have any right to resolve this issue legally?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

State is FL and 2013 brought in 2015 w/20thousand miles now 30thousand every payment made ahead of time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Manufacturer? why would I be doing that has nothing to do with that?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/19/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Whose name is ***** ***** the title to the vehicle?

.

If your name is ***** ***** the title, why did you agree to put down the downpayment and trade your present car?

.

What exactly did this other person do to get you the car if you put up all the money to get the car?

.

Do you have proof of making all the payments since the car was purchased?

.

.

thanks

The other person.
Because they said it was a gift they would give me by signing. My credit was not good
Nothing I walked in with them I talk to dealer I negotiated the deal. The other just sat there saying nothing other than answering credit questions.
Yes, from my account to theirs then directly to loan company from my banking account.
no I have not gotten an answer for my 35.00 I am not spending another 59 to do that that's not want the ad said I need my first answer. Or I will call my bank and dispute the charges. Please answer my 35.00 question

If you can be patient for a few minutes, I can only type so fast..

ok I'll wait

Ok, then while legally they would be the owner, equitably you are the owner... So you would basically have to sue the other person for breach of contract for failing to honor whatever agreement that you had with them (i.e. you put down the down payment, trade in your car, make all the payments, and you can use my credit to buy the car for yourself).

.

Once you provided proof that you have been in possession of the vehicle all along, and have complied with all the conditions of the agreement, I would opine that a judge would rule in your favor and issue an order stating that you are the legal owner of the vehicle and as soon as the car is paid off, the other person has to transfer title to you..

.

.

thanks

Ok that was encouraging. Thank you.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much