Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was misled and lied to by our new home builder and would…

Customer Question
Hi. I was misled...

Hi. I was misled and lied to by our new home builder and would like a consultation regarding the best way to pursue what we are still seeking.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Virginia. And no, not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes. I've contacted the builder

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/17/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
what outcome are you seeking?
Builder emailed us that he intended to provide 1k in closing assistance then refused to provide it. What prompted this was that we confronted builder with the fact we were lied to about an issue. He apologized and offered a credit along with his intention to pay 1k closing assistance. Also, we were overcharged $955 for a flooring option. Builder refused to correct change order. So to answer your question, 1k closing assistance plus $955 in flooring credit.
I am sorry this happened. I will do the following: 1. suggest options for pursuing a case 2. preparation tactics 3. way to find a local lawyer if you still wish to involve one but can save on fees by following steps 1 and 2
A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!If needed, If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!