Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I would like to know if I can sue for non complete work for…

Customer Question
Hi, I would like to...
Hi, I would like to know if I can sue for non complete work for software I Commission to be finished it was never finished. I paid in May 2017, developer sent me a non completed software in late June. I back tested it for 2 months and learned it was not correct and ask him to add what was agreed and fix what was wrong. What I was asking was out of his expertise and he refuses to fix or refund my money. I paid in USD to a company in Canada but the merchant lives in Jordan. Who do I sue? My bank did not want refund my money as it passed 60days. The deal was to finish in 2 weeks but the developer just half ass the work when I was asking for the software. I need help. Thank you. Amount was $2400. And I live in California.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/16/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

You would have to sue the company that you contracted with to do the work. If that is the company in Canada, you would have to sue them in Canada to recover your money. If you contracted with the merchant in Jordan and the Canadian company just took payment, then you would have to sue the person in Jordan who was to perform the work for breach of contract.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

What form or what steps should I take to start the small claims. If it’s possible you can call me(###) ###-####

Thank you for your reply.

You cannot sue a company from Canada or Jordan in small claims court in CA, sorry, you would need to go to the country where they are located because that is the court that has personal jurisdiction over them.

file paper work online that’s in Jordan?

Thank you for your reply.

I wish it were all that simple. If he is in Jordan, you will need an attorney in Jordan to pursue him for you, it is not something that is done online. This is not a simple issue to pursue your money back if the other party is outside of the US and if they are in Jordan it would require an attorney there to represent you and file the case.