Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a camper from Berryland campers in Ponctoula La on…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is Michael ****, I bought a camper from Berryland campers in Ponctoula La on December of 2016. I've had nothing but problems ever since. the camper has been in the repair shop half the time I've owned it. I know the Lemon Law does not apply but there must be some law to protect the consumer. My telephone number is(###) ###-####

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

La.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No the manufacturer is in Indiana and Berryland said it might have to go back but they keep saying we can fix the multiple problems.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have complained and all they say is sue me!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/15/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Are you aware of whether you were given a warranty on the product?

I'm not sure if you received my latest post; however, I think that I can answer your question.

This appears to be a violation of the implied warranty of fitness ont he grounds that the vehicle has been in the repair shop several times. Under the Uniform Commercial Code section 2-315, which has been adopted in part or wholly by every state, it says, “Where the seller at the time of contracting has reason to know any particular purpose for which the goods are required and that the buyer is relying on the seller's skill or judgment to select or furnish suitable goods, there is unless excluded or modified under the next section an implied warranty that the goods shall be fit for such purpose.” All this means in plain English is that if a buyer is relying on the seller’s skill or judgment (e.g. if you rely on a lawn mower mechanic’s skill in choosing a blade for your lawn mower), then the mechanic warrants that the good will be fit for its particular purpose (cutting grass). Unless the goods are sold “as is,” then then a violation of that warranty may allow the buyer to recover damages.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.