Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is there a law in North Carolina that states that if, after…

Customer Question
Is there a law...

Is there a law in North Carolina that states that if, after a car is damaged in an accident and totaled by the insurance, the insurance company can only reimburse the car owner and additional 50% of the blue book values of that car?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

The state is North Carolina and the car is a 1999 Toyota Camry and was in excellent shape. The years prior to the accident the only money spent on the car were for oil changes and a yearly inspection.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The police were called and the woman's insurance. The car was then inspected by a certified car repair shop. The amount they stated to repair it was $4378.35 and possibly some more once they pried open the trunk.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything right now.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/14/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 6 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

The answer is no. There is no such law. The insurance company simply wants to pay the least they can to settle the claim. Please understand how this works. Once someone hits you and they have insurance, the insurance is liable for the judgment that you'd get against the driver if you sue them (in limited amount, but usually pretty high). Ergo, to avoid paying out huge sums from a judgment where their driver is likely responsible, the insurance company likes to settle the claim to avoid litigation. Once an agreement is reached, you sign a release and waive your rights to sue in exchange for the payout. Of course the insurance adjuster will try to come up with reasons (actual and bogus) why they cannot pay more...

There is no such law.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.