Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I own a house in Bayonne NJ. I had a flood in November 2016.

Customer Question
I had a independent adjuster...
I own a house in Bayonne NJ. I had a flood in November 2016. I had a independent adjuster come in to see if it was a legal claim. He said it was so in turn they contacted my insurance company. My insurance company adjuster came in with the independent adjuster and went over everything and agreed on a settlement amount of almost $12,000. Once everything was agreed upon the independent adjust sent in a cleaning crew to rip up the floor. I waited a while for the check. Once I got the check it was made out to me and my mortgage company. The mortgage company sent me an envelope of paperwork I had to fill out and I also had to find a license contractor. I fill everything out and notarized had the contractor fill out his portion and sent it back. This went on three to four time cause every time I sent it back it was wrong. Finally I sent it back and everything was correct. Also the independent adjuster put me in touch with a escrow lawyer. A few weeks later which was a couple of weeks ago the lawyer called me and said she had a check for $1500 and it was made out to the contractor. She spoke to the contractor and he said not to send the check cause he wasn’t going sign it. He then called me and told me he didn’t want the job cause he couldn’t work like that. What the mortgage company is doing is sending me the money in incrimints. Once the money was gone they would have to come and do an inspection to make sure the work is being done and then they would cut another check and go through the process again send inspector in and so on. When my contractor quit on me I was on the phone for a week looking for another contractor. I had no luck fining a contractor willing to work like that. It’s kike they are holding my money hostage. I have been living on a concrete floor with nails sticking out of it for over a year now. I called the independent adjuster and spoke to them and they couldn’t help me. I also called the mortgage company and there answer was that was there process of how they work with claims. This is my last resort trying to find a lawyer to help me. All I want is my money so I can fix my floor. PLEASE HELPThank You
Donna Fahrion
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/13/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Michael Bradley

the money being sent in installments is not unusual especially in NJ after all of the fraud that occurred over Sandy claims

you may need to retain a local attorney who may help clear out these problems you are having

it does seem that the mortgage company is a bit overboard over 12,000 claim

Does it matter that the mortgage company is in Oregon

no. they are all across the country

it really needs to do with the problems Sandy caused

OK

Donna

can I assist you any further?

Infolawyer, Lawyer