Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I want to sue a credit card company for allowing my social…

Customer Question
I want to sue...

I want to sue a credit card company for allowing my social security number to be used fraudulently. The name on the account doesn't even match my name and I know who the person was that used my social security number

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

SC

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

The credit card company lied to me on the phone saying my number wasn't used, but the guilty party admitted to using it, has a different name, and let the account go delinquent which showed up on my credit report

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have proof of everything I am telling you if needed

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/13/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!