Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My credit is really bad however I only owe a little over 2…

Customer Question
My credit is really bad...
My credit is really bad however I only owe a little over 2 k, but to quite a few companies to improve my credit scores the most would it be more bennificial to pay off the smallest amounts but more companies, or the bigger amounts and fewer companies? Thanks for your time
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/12/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: KnowYourRights, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
KnowYourRights

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

OK thanks

Good morning. Ideally, you would pay more towards the credit cards that have the higher interest rate. This way, you pay those off and are not paying as much to the interest and more to the principle to reduce the balance. The goal is to make sure everything is paid on time. Try and pay off the high-interest rate cards and make a larger payment to those so less is going to interest each month

Nothing on my credit is from credit cards it's all non payment of things like phone bills, cable company,ect.
I am not a crewing interest on anything to my knowlege

If these are past due bills, you need to address and pay the oldest ones first, to prevent them from going to collections. You should speak with them and see if any late fees or interest is being added as it typically happens when payments are late. The older bills you want to pay off quicker since there is a greater chance of you being sued on those and if you are there would be legal fees added to the amount owed.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

would paying one off for $1000 boost my score higher than if I paid one off for $200?

It depends. If it is in in collections and being reported late, it could since each month your credit would be taking a hit, as this would be reported until it is paid. You can pull your credit report and see what is being reported on it and try and resolve those sooner.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.