Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a problem getting a clear car title from a dealer in…

Customer Question
I have a problem...

I have a problem getting a clear car title from a dealer in va. Bought car in Sept .

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

2014 in virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't tag car without title.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/11/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

I'm so frustrated. Bought car in Sept for daughter to use away at college. Since then I have been unable to get a clear car title to get permanent tags. The salesman says he is working on it. Can't get anything acomplish. How do I go about returning the car and getting my money back
Cannot afford it

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This appears to be a breach of contract based on the failure to perform within a reasonable time because they have not given you clear title as stipulated in your agreement with them. Courts regularly look toward the Uniform Commercial Code as their guide, since many states have adopted this code into their own statutes. Under UCC Section 2-309(1), the law says that each party has a reasonable time to perform if it is not expressly stated in the contract. What is considered “reasonable” is a matter of fact and depends on the circumstances, but it is an argument that you would have to make that it is unreasonable. Regardless, there is a legal basis for your particular claim. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because all you need to do is click, purchase, and download. Click here to get started.

What other questions did you have for me?