Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I received a call from who says he is with the Consumer

Customer Question
I received a call...

I received a call from ***** ***** who says he is with the Consumer Protection Agency stating I have won a large amount of money from American Sweepstakes but in order to get it I must pay a lawyer $5,000 to register this win before i can get the money. This is not the first call I have received and not the highest amount either. Is this a fraud or scam.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when exactly were you notified?

This morning and I'm in Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

I called the phone number and the same guy answered the phone. I have not contacted the sweepstakes company. I have been told that if you win money legitimately, you don't have to pay in order to get it. Is that correct?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/8/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
insearchoftheanswer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. Don't send them a dime...this is a total scam. These facts mirror identically an ongoing scam. Here's the thing that will confirm that it's a scam for you. You should never send them any money up front or provide them any information about your bank accounts. If they want you to pay them anything to get your money, it's a scam. If you had won money, they would be able to easily simply deduct any expenses, taxes, fees, etc., from the money. if they tell you this is not possible, it's because there is in fact no money from which to deduct these costs. There are no sets of circumstances where if there truly is money for you that you should have to do anything but receive your money net of any expenses. If they tell you otherwise, all that tells you is there is no money waiting for you and you are being scammed.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I know this is not what you wanted to hear and I wish I could tell you this is legitimate, but, I can only provide you information based on the law and my experience so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!