Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I received a phone call this morning---my wife had won

Customer Question
I received a phone...

I received a phone call this morning---my wife had won $500,000 from an international sweepstakes run by HSBT Bank---we were given a confirmation number and a phone number for the Federal Gaming Authority to call and confirm that they were legitimate---we called ---they confirmed that we were a winner---we doubted what we were told---lawyer called again--we called the Fed number again---told all was fine---got a call telling us we had to pay $1500 up front --send money by Western Union to name in Guinea--West Aftica--we did---

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when exactly were you notified?

Shenandoah Valley VA--today--Dec 6---9 am

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

There is no manufacturer--I had to leave---wife had 2 more calls--we were promised check delivered at our house from 9-11 am Friday--this is a sweepstakes winner scam

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just where to file compliant---we have been had--all a scam--we sent the $1500 through Western Union to Guinea--West Africa

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/7/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The United States doesn't have a Federal Gaming Authority. Sweepstakes and lotteries are governed by the states. That's why the number they gave you kept confirming your win - the person answering the phone was working with the scam artists.

Since the scam came by phone, you can report them to the Federal Trade Commission. They have a separate website for reporting scams where someone claims to be from the government.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/GettingStarted?NextQID=216&Selected=t#crnt

If you're more comfortable, you can instead file the complaint over the phone by calling 1-877-FTC-HELP.

Please rate my answer positively so I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. If you're on a mobile device, you may have to scroll to the left. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?