Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I turned in a leased car early and am being asked to pay off…

Customer Question
I turned in a...

I turned in a leased car early and am being asked to pay off the remainder of that lease. Is there a way out?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

California. 2014

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes. Put on a monthly $100 plan.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/6/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: KnowYourRights, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
KnowYourRights

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Was there any basis for which you turned it in? You shared that they did place you on a payment plan?

Moving to a different rural area. Car type (Cadillac) would not be a good fit. Afraid of damaging a leased car. Agreed to a payment plan to protect my credit. Now wondering if I can stop.

Thank you for the reply. There needs to be a legal basis to stop making the payments, especially after you agreed to a payment plan and they took the vehicle back. You have a legal and contractual obligation to pay under the lease terms, so if you stop paying, they could hold you in breach and sue for the balance owed. The fact that they took it back, does not allow you to just stop paying because it is in their possession, as you voluntarily turned it in, so if you stop, they will sue and go after you. The only other option would need to see if they would agree to a lump sum payment, for less than the total amount owed.

Thank you. Exactly what I already had heard :( How do I go about getting my 'refundable' $5 back? Thank you so much for your answer. I heard about this service on Chelsea Handler! Will share with others. Linda

Customer service can assist.

Which is where on this site?

1(###) ###-####/p>